AmigaActive (1148/2143)

From:oruk_amigan
Date:15 May 2000 at 12:35:56
Subject:RE: DVD on the Amiga - sort of :)

Hi Mike,

>>Well, since getting my PPC card; I have been absolutely gob
>>smacked at the
>>stuff it can do. However, realistically speaking - playing a
>>MPEG-II movie
>>with a suitable UDF file system on my Pixel 64 is not
>>realistic :)). Unless
>>I get a BVision, which is what I intend to do, but not quite yet....
>
>Having used no other cards than the BVision I can't say it is that amazingly

>much faster. But then I think the layers.library needs re-coding to
>increase Workbench speed. If that was done in OS3.6 or whatever I'd upgrade

>then :o)

Hee hee. That's true. One thing I was thinking of, would it be possible to
do something like, BPPCFix to remove the ROM layers.library and patch with a
PPC byte for byte compatible version? Course, then intuition would best be
recoded. Just an idea I had that may work. Perhaps even a totally re programmed
soft-kickstart for ppc which was soft kicked would work. But then there is
a *lot* of work involved in that... :)

>Anyway for playing movies I've yet to see it running amazingly well with the

>current players and mpeg-1 streams. Maybe I've just not got something set

>right?! :-/

Well I have been using Frogger (just registred that and SoftCinema today :))
in 8bit colour, on its own screen using a standard MPEG-1 res, which is 358x288
or something. I then use a simple 8Bit AHI player (unit #1), allowing for a
fair share of *68K* CPU time. Like that, I have easily got 25fps with about
1-2 frames being skipped - still it is a enormous jump from 040 speed. I gave
up trying frogger on the 040! :)) Plus - no broken audio and its all in sync.

> If you've not got your BVision by the summer your welcome to
>come see my set-up with 250mhz PPC when I drag it home for the summer.

Excellent, I'd love to see that. Whether I have my BVision this summer is doubtful
since I want to buy more software now I'm close to having my dream Amiga (something
I always wanted since my very first own Amiga, an A500+) I may as well use what
I have got and not wait for what I will have. I'll probably attempt to get
a BVision at WOA if that happens if the truth be known. :) It's not as if I'm
w/o a gfx. card anyway :))

So I think I'll take you up on your offer... :)

>>One: If for example I had a BVision and, a suitable UDF fs,
>>like Allegro
>>CDFS, a DVD drive, would my PPC 160/175 (it was sold as 160MHz
>>but PowerUp
>>and WarpUp say it's 175MHz, which I believe it is since it has
>>a 50MHz bus
>>and 3.5x clock multiplier) be able to play back DVDs at full
>>MPEG-II res at
>>an acceptable rate? I'm inclined to say, unfortunately, no,
>>but am i wrong?
>>:)
>
>Hmmm, doubt full! Although the new AsynioPPC version of the library may
>help a lot.

I'll download that tonight :)

>I've got some DVD player source code here if you're willing to
>give it a go at porting it. Its from a Linux player, so all in 'C'.

Is the X interface code seperate from the actual player? Just I installed VBCC
for PuP and WOS yesterday and had a go at convetrting some of my old 68K code,
which was not *that* optimised - now the speed was quite something.... :)

Tell you what e-mail me it and I'll take a look, I wonder how I'm gonna juggle
three big projects.... ;) I guess I'd need to use Ixemul.library a lot though...
To start with anyway :)

All the best,

Nick.

72% off on Name brand Watches!
Come and buy today and get free shipping!